On Separation.



 As many of you know, I will begin working with the Network in Solidarity with the People of Guatemala (NISGUA) this fall, as an international accompanier - a member a network of international accompaniment organizations and powerful activists, communities, and organizations in Guatemala. I am thrilled to learn from these groups and individuals fighting for justice and accountability and the defense of life and territory over the next several months.You can read more about NISGUA and accompaniment here.

I am beginning this blog again in hopes that it will be an informal platform through which to keep my community aware of what I am up to in Guatemala and how I am processing through what I experience, wrestle with, witness, feel, do, see, etc. I will have a more formalized method of communication that may be published through the organization, but I would like to use this space as a more raw expression of my thoughts and feelings.

Thus, this first entry will be an introduction to this space. Welcome.

On Separation.

I have been ruminating recently on this word - separation.

Separate, coming from Latin roots se- (apart) and parare- (to prepare or to make ready). To disconnect, sever, scatter, dislocate.

It has found its way into our headlines and national dialogue with the administration’s most recent attack on immigrant communities. Family separation. … Something that, really, while in its more recent expression and coverage, may appear more overtly cruel, is not new. Here in the United States (and around the world), we have been removing parents from children and children from parents (and people from people) for generations.

Around the globe, people are forcibly displaced from their families, their homes, their ways of life. Be it due to urban gentrification or war, this reality we find today can be connected back to the perpetuated myth of global capitalism which ultimately prioritizes wealth in the hands of the very few, at the expense of the land, vitality, and personhood of the many.

            In Guatemala, a country rich with resources, fertile land, culture, passion, and diversity, people have been displaced from their land, their families, their right to safety, time and time again. From the colonization, to genocide, to extractive megaprojects that threaten to displace entire communities, if not directly from their own land to another place, then from the land and its resources they have claimed and known to provide and offer and comfort to something less than what Mother Earth intended. (A more in-depth information can be found on NISGUA’s website as to these stories as well).

In one way or another we have all been touched by oppressive forms of separation. We have been forcibly separated from our richest, truest, most imaginative selves as we are often both the colonizer and the colonized. Our land, our resources, our culture, our own ways of thinking have become something other than they were crafted to be.

------

I’ve been thinking about what it means to choose separation. I am impacted by the decision to leave my home: my friends, partner, family, and the many other things that provide me with comfort, fulfillment, and joy at this moment in time. It is difficult to say goodbye, but this separation for me is incredibly different than those mentioned above. This period of separation is temporary, and if anything were to go wrong, if I were to get sick, or someone at home desperately needed me, I could come back. This period of separation is above all else, my choice.

I struggle sometimes with the over usage and sometimes misusage of the word “privilege,” but ultimately it can’t be denied in this instance that I have layers of privilege that have not only allowed me to make this decision, but are in some ways at the core of why I am going to do this work in the first place. I carry with me my whiteness, my cis-gendered identity, a network of people with resources, both financial and otherwise … and I carry my passport. While accompaniment is about so much more than providing an international presence to “protect” those in danger, it can’t be denied that this is a key component. Thus, this choice to leverage our privilege must be deeply thoughtful and intentional, and must be only a part of our deeper commitment to seek global change.

I want to live in a world in which all of us have the right to choose: to choose to stay in the community where we were born, or to move to a new place that better support our passions, goals, skills, etc.; to choose what to call and how to create and support our families; to choose to travel, to love, to interact with and not destroy our earth; to choose to value one another over profit. And in order to taste a bit of this world, I have chosen this path. Because I believe that my humanity is bound to you, to my neighbor, and to the people of Guatemala.

Thank you for all of your support and I look forward to updating you along the way!


Feel free to email me with any questions: merwilkinson@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ricola wrappers and tissue stuffing...and a flaw.